Friday, December 12, 2014

10 Things I Wish I Knew before Marriage

My husband and I are quickly approaching our third anniversary. While I am no expert on marriage, I have learned a lot about myself during these last three years. If I could go back and give my single self a little advice, this would be it:

  1. Be selfish with your time. Once you have a family, "me" time becomes "our" time. Being alone is OK. One day you may forget what it's like and the grocery store will seem like girls weekend (not kidding).  
  2. Travel as much as possible. Even if you're alone, get on a plane and see as many places as your heart desires. One plane ticket is a lot easier on the wallet. 
  3.  Plan your wedding. It doesn't matter that you've been single for the last 3 years, every girl has the right to know what she wants. Plan away, sister.
  4. Happiness is something you have to choose. Don't depend on a thing or a person for your own personal happiness. You control how you feel, choose to be happy regardless of your circumstances. Finals will be a faint memory one day, I promise.
  5. Pray and grow closer to God. Have a personal relationship with God, it's the most important thing you can do for the present and the future.
  6. Enjoy school. Don't wish away your education. You are privileged to sit in a classroom learning on an almost daily basis. Gain as much knowledge as possible and never stop seeking answers. Form your own opinions but always be open to other perspectives.  
  7. Avoid cooking. This is probably bad advice. But eating an avocado for dinner or a bag of chips won't cut it once you're married. Men like a meal, like a full meal, with meat and a starch. AND skipping a meal? Forget it. So like I said, avoid cooking, you have the rest of your life to do it.
  8. Finding the right person will happen when you expect it least. I am convinced that 99 percent of the human population has heard this piece of advice. And I am pretty sure 98 percent of them ignored it. Be the 1 percent, believe me, it will happen.
  9. The wedding isn't a big deal. Many coin the wedding day as the "most important day of your life." Trust me when I say it's not.
  10. Those "most important" days are yet to come. The best days will be found in the midst of trials and triumphs. These "important" days are often unplanned and unexpected but perfectly timed.


No comments:

Post a Comment